Friday, September 30, 2011

Seven-Power Lens Double Entry Journal

Quote: "Each of us may define thinking differently: as a balance of analytical, creative and practical abilities; as intellectual habits of mind like open- mindedness; or as mental processes specific to a discipline. However we define it, we must agree that today's students, our future citizens, should be able to marshal thinking skills to spot "eye witless news...a twinkle of the airwaves." (Bennett 2001)

Reaction:  I strongly agree with this entire quote. I also think this article is wonderful. Their are many different kinds of ways people think and also learn. I encourage kids and my future students to think creatively. I feel like if your students are able to think with their imagination they will be more interested in learning and actually wanting to learn. Thinking analytically is a very important way to learn as well. A lot of students and children learn in different ways and at different paces. You can also think of thinking as mental processes specific to a discipline. I feel like if their is discipline incorporated into learning and thinking,they will actually practice and try to learn the material. I do agree that students should be able to learn and think in both creative and analytical ways. Thinking skills are what all students should work on on a daily basis. Students being able to learn an grasp new information is a wonderful thing for a teacher to see and notice. To see a child learn makes me smile. 

Related Source:  
 

I think this video displays what it means to be literate in the 21st century today.  You have to be very knowledgeable with technologies and how to be able to incorporate them into your 21st century classroom. Cell phones, computers, txting to communicate through blogging, the new 21st century teaching. Retrieved from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn0_H-kvxkU

Resource: 

Abilock, Debbie.(2002, April 21) A Seven- Power Lens on 21st -Century Literacy. 30-35 . Web. September 28 2011. Retrieved from:
http://www.noodletools.com/debbie/consult/articles/PowerLensSingle.pdf 
Retrieved from https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B6DFAmexYq7vMTFmZjZhNWItZWY5Ni00NzdhLWIxYzItMmE4NmI0MGI5NzJl&hl=en&pli=1





8 comments:

  1. I agree that it is important to make sure that teaching is understood by each child and to expand a child's brain to understand how to learn other ways as well. I am visual and kinesthetic. However, my mom always worked with me in a multitude of different ways so that I could learn to adapt in various learning situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful video Jennifer! I agree! There is nothing better than seeing the look on a child's face when the aha moment happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I think it is exhilarating to see a child learn and obtain the information. I was one of those children who had trouble learning so when i understood the information it was a wonderful feeling. To be on the opposite side and see a young student understand is the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your comment. It's good for students to know there are other ways of learning and every child has there own unique way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally! We definitely could use new methods of teaching in the education system, and creativity is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are many different ways of thinking. As teachers I think that we should also teach in ways that appeal to every type of learning capibility.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, Jennifer. There are many different ways to learn. I do think if students are creative and having fun it makes learning much easier for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly Jennifer! Just like there are different ways to learn, there are different ways to teach. We as teachers should get to know these and how to incorporate them daily and even come up with our own techniques! Very good!!!

    ReplyDelete